Three books on preaching, and on the background and basis of preaching.
- Speaking God’s Words: A Practical Theology of Preaching, Leicester, IVP, 1996/ Regent College Publishing, Vancouver, 2004
- Written for Us: Receiving God’s Words in the Bible, Nottingham, IVP, 2008
- Hearing God’s Words: Biblical Spirituality, Leicester, IVP, 2004.
Articles in books and journals:
- ‘Expository Preaching in Historical Context: A Rich and Inspiring Resource’, in Chase R. Kuhn and Paul Grimmond, Theology is for Preaching: Biblical Foundations, Method, & Practice, Bellingham, Lexham Press, 2021, 155-178.
- ‘What is God’s word for these people?’, and ‘If I perish, I perish’, in Rhett Dodson, ed., Unashamed workmen: How Expositors Prepare and Preach, Fearn, Mentor, 2014, pp. 17-34 and 35-44.
- ‘From text to doctrine: the Bible and theology,’ in Lee Gatiss, ed., NIV Proclamation Bible: Correctly handing the word of truth, London, Hodder and Stoughton, 2013, pp. xlvii-lii.
- ‘Calvin’s preaching and homiletic: nine engagements’, republished in Michael Parsons, ed., Reformation Faith: Exegesis and Theology in the Protestant Reformation, Milton Keynes, Paternoster, 2014.
- ‘Calvin’s school of Christ for preachers’, in Michael Parsons, ed. Aspects of Reforming: Theology and Practice in Sixteenth Century Europe, Milton Keynes, Paternoster, 201.3
- ‘The Pastor as Preacher’, in Melvin Tinker, ed., The Renewed Pastor: Writings in honour of Philip Hacking, Fearn, Christian Focus, 2011.
- ‘To bring men to heaven by preaching: John Donne’s Evangelistic Sermons’, reprinted in Lee Gatiss, ed., Preachers, Pastors and Ambassadors: Puritan Wisdom for Today’s Church, St Antholin’s Lectures Volume 2, 2001-2010, London, The Latimer Trust, 2010.
- ‘Calvin’s Preaching and Homiletic: Nine Engagements, Part 1’, Churchman, Vol. 124, No. 3, Autumn, 2010.
- ‘Calvin’s Preaching and Homiletic: Nine Engagements, Part 2’, Churchman, Vol. 124, No. 4, Winter, 2010.
- ‘”Preaching of a Lively Kind”: Calvin’s engaged expository preaching’, in Engaging with Calvin: Aspects of the Reformer’s legacy for today, ed. Mark D. Thompson, Nottingham, Apollos, 2009.
- ‘Arguing for expository preaching’, Rutherford Journal of Church and Ministry 13.1, pp. 4-7, 2006.
- ‘Preaching and Biblical Theology’, in The New Dictionary of Biblical Theology, eds. TD Alexander, Brian Rosner, Leicester, IVP, 2000.
- ‘Preaching and Pastoral Ministry’, in The Anglican Evangelical Crisis, ed. Melvin Tinker, Christian Fearn, Focus Publications, 1995.
- ‘The Preacher and the Sufficient Word’, in When God’s Voice is Heard, eds. Christopher Green and David Jackman, Leicester, IVP, 1995.